EY Hockey League kicks off in style as Lisnagarvey take top spot

BANBRIDGE  5 (Jake Rowe, Louis Rowe, Josh Moffatt, Matthew McKee, Owen Magee) YMCA 1 (Fionn Marriott)

The first part of the Ulster double is the proof of the old adage you should not poke a bear. YMCA did not bear this in mind on their visit to EYHL, Irish Senior Cup and Champions Trophy holders Banbridge as they took an early lead through Fionn Marriott.  They managed to hold on to this lead until five minutes into quarter three when they conceded a penalty stroke. This was converted by Jake Rowe to put Banbridge level. Louis Rowe gave Banbridge the lead shortly after this and Bann led 2-1 at the end of quarter three.  Things remained tight until six minutes from the end when Josh Moffatt made it 3-1 to Banbridge. In an effort to get back on terms YM withdrew their goalkeeper in favour of another attacker and found themselves further behind when Matthew McKee scored a fourth. Owen Magee made the final score 5-1 just on the hooter.


MONKSTOWN 3 (Daniel O’Donovan, Lee Cole, David Vincent )  UCD 0

UCD were taught very early on in this game what it was like to be back in the EYHL Men’s Division 1. Daniel O’Donovan opened the scoring from a field goal in the 5th minute. Monkstown were awarded a penalty stroke in the 9th minute which Lee Cole converted. They led 2-0 at the end of the first quarter. David Vincent converted another open play goal for Monkstown in the 34th minute to leave Monkstown leading 3-0 at half -time. UCD were better in the second half being tighter in defence and carving out some opportunities during both quarters, but they singularly failed to convert any of these chances. They felt they should have been awarded a penalty stroke during quarter four, but the incident wasn’t even awarded a penalty corner. Frustration led to Alan Sothern being green carded 54th minute and Josh Filgas being yellow carded in the 57th minute. Both decisions were protested from the sideline to no avail.  A clean sheet for Monkstown and three points in the bag from their first outing. The students have Lisnagarvey as visitors next weekend. It doesn’t get any easier in this division.


THREE ROCK ROVERS 1 (James Walker) CORINTHIAN 1 (Peter Caruth)

Three Rock Rovers and newly promoted Corinthian shared the spoils in a feisty Marlay derby at Grange Road to start the new Men’s EY Hockey League season. In rain-soaked conditions, the reds started well, winning the first corner and drawing a strong stop from Ben Whelan before the hosts came into the contest. Mark Samuel used his pace to draw a brilliant first save of the day from new Corinthian arrival Duncan Fischer who had an excellent debut between the posts, closing out the first quarter 0-0. Rovers got into foul trouble in Q2, suffering three sin-binnings in quick succession to go down to eight players for a short spell and – when back to nine – Corinthian took the lead. It came from a corner which was switched left to Peter Caruth whose attempted power-slap snuck in through a couple of sticks. Back to 11, the hosts stepped up and were level from a corner, James Walker cleaning up after Ben Johnson’s initial shot was blocked – 1-1 on the half-time hooter. And they carried that momentum into the second half but could not make use of six corners in quick succession with Robbie Clarke’s excellent charging down the barrel a feature. Fischer also kept out a series of Rovers’ overload attacks as they clung on to parity. In the endgame, with a number of cards, the reds almost nicked it with Max Neill’s backhand shot fizzing centimetres wide. There were debuts for Three Rock teenagers Oscar Pasley and Sam Rothwell; Isaac Johnson also played his first game for the club following switch from Pembroke. Alex Flynn returned to Rovers from UCD. Missing for Three Rock were Jody Hosking ( through a suspension carried over from last season), Ali Haughton, James Kyriakides, Ryan Spencer, Ross Canning. 13 youth players in Three Rock’s  match day squad of 16. Corinthians gave debuts to Duncan Fischer and Daniel O’Daly. Joshua Greaney back at the club following studies in Loughborough University in England.


GLENANNE 3 (Jake Pillow, Gary Shaw, Richard Couse) ANNADALE 1 (David Lawless)

Jake Pillow, making his EYHL debut for Glenanne gave the Greens an early lead at St. Andrew’s and they also led 1-0 at the break. The game remained tight until the end of the third quarter and it was still 1-0 as the fourth quarter began. Gary Shaw increased Glenanne’s lead to make it 2-0. Annadale, in trying to get a goal on the scoreboard withdrew their keeper in favour of another attacker. They won a penalty corner which was converted by David Lawless to make it 2-1. Richard Couse popped up with a final goal for Glenanne to leave the final score 3-1.


LISNAGARVEY  7  ( Ben Nelson, Daniel Nelson, James Lorimar, James Corry, Andy Williamson, Oliver Kidd x 2) INSTONIANS (Tommy Orr)

And if you hadn’t learned already from previous information, not to poke the bear, here’s more proof of the pudding. In the Ulster derby at Comber Road, visitors Instonians had the temerity to take the lead against Lisnagarvey through Tommy Orr. Lisnagarvey through Daniel Nelson and Andy Williamson managed to regain control of the game and led 2-1 at half-time. Further goals after the break from Ben Nelson, James Lorimar, James Corry and a brace from Oliver Kidd were enough to secure all three points for Garvey and top spot in the table on goal difference by virtue of their 7-1 win over Instonians.


All results from today’s fixture on the Hockey Ireland website, here: https://hockey.ie/results/