EY Hockey League Roundup and Additional Report of European Club Hockey

EY Hockey League Roundup

EYHL Division 1 Women


The defending EYHL Women’s Division 1 Champions UCD wearing their breast cancer awareness pink outfit took on Monkstown in their EYHL Division 1 game at the national stadium in Belfield. It was a fairly lively tight first quarter which ended scoreless. Sophia Cole got a green card in the 14th minute which was 2 minutes on the sideline for her. Things got going in the second quarter. UCD took the lead through Leah O’Shea’s field goal in the 26th minute and the Students led 1-0 at half time. Lauren Johnston served a 2-minute suspension for UCD when she was green carded in the 32nd minute. And Katharine Egan got one in the 35th minute leaving the team shorthanded for most of that 5-minute stretch up to the 37th minute. Monkstown carved out a few chances of their own but were unable to get past a superb defence marshalled by Sarah McAuley and Katie Jane- Marshall and backstopped by the excellent Erika Gallagher. Aine Naughton made it 2-0 to UCD in the 61st minute from a field goal. And the Students held out for the victory. Leah Paul got a Yellow Card three minutes from time leaving UCD to see out the game down to 10 players, but they managed to see out the win.
It finished UCD 2 Monkstown 0.

UCD: Erika Gallagher, Emma Paul (C), Sophie Kidd, Sydney Weir-McErlean, Katie -Jane Marshall, Sara McAuley, Lucy Crowe, Aine Naughton, Ali Griffin Sophia Cole, Mikayla Power
SUBS USED: Leah O’Shea (3 mins), Florence Maughan (8 mins), Lauren Johnston (8 mins), Katharine Egan (6 mins)

MONKSTOWN: Martha Duignan, Sarah Greene, Sophie Moore, Jennifer Hamill, Claire O’Reilly, Rebecca Cathy, Natasha Twomey, Amelia Jerman, Orla Hughes-Young, Charlotte O’Neill, Chloe Watkins
SUBS USED: Laura Pinder (9 MINS), Nicola Daly (11 MINS), Aliya Davis (23 MINS), Julie Potter Cogan (4 MINS), Ally O’Sullivan (28 MINS)

Catholic Institute hosted Railway Union and produced a five-goal thriller. The visitors went 1-0 in the first quarter through a goal from Orla Patton.
Railers increased their lead six minutes into the second quarter through Kate Dillon and led 2-0 at half time. Emer Ryan got a goal back for Catholic Institute in the third quarter and Railway Union were still 2-1 ahead at the end of the third quarter. In the 54th minute Railway struck again to lead 3-1 through Michelle Carey. Catholic Institute got a late consolation goal from Naomi Carroll to leave the final score Catholic Institute 2 Railway Union 3.

Pembroke and Old Alex had a closely fought encounter at Serpentine Avenue and there were no goals in the opening half. And the second half followed and identical pattern as the game ended in a 0-0 draw. The game was so even both teams had one person green carded. Old Alex had Aoife Taaffe green carded in the 35th minute and Pembroke had Ellen Curran green carded in the 45th minute. Being down to 10 didn’t adversely affect either side.

Corinthians hosted Loreto at St. Columba’s College. Rachel Kelly gave Loreto the lead in the 3rd minute when she converted a penalty corner. It was still 1-0 to the visitors at half-time. A scoreless third quarter meant that going into the closing minutes Loreto still led by the slenderest of margins. That was addressed by a 55th minute goal from Christina Hamill which secured a 2-0 win for the visitors.

Pegasus hosted Ulster Elks in an Ulster derby at the Queen’s University sportsgrounds in the late match on Saturday afternoon. Pegasus took the lead in the 26th minute through a Zara Malseed converted penalty corner and led 1-0 at half-time. Pegasus maintained their lead and looked to be on their way to securing their first win of the season right up to three minutes from time. Elks were awarded a penalty stroke in the 67th minute which Serena Campuzzano converted to deny Pegasus the win but they did collect their first League point of the season.

EYHL Division 1 Men

Glenanne beat Monkstown 3-1 in their EYHL clash at St. Andrew’s College. Shane O’Donoghue’s converted penalty corner in the 23rd minute opened the scoring for Glenanne. His second of the game which he stuck in the roof of the net made it 2-0 in the 53rd minute. Shane O’Donoghue’s third of the game showed that Ireland’s record international goalscorer is as sharp as ever, as he gave Glenanne a 3-0 lead in the 58th minute. A late consolation goal, four minutes from the end, a penalty stroke scored by Lee Cole for Monkstown made the final score 3-1.

YMCA took on UCD at Wesley College and opened the scoring in the 9th minute through Adam Walker. Sam Hyland made it 2-0 for YM in the 26th minute. UCD got their first of the game in the 29th minute through Sam Walker and YM led 2-1 at half time. UCD got a deserved equaliser when Alan Sothern capitalised on a defensive error in the 47th minute to make it 2-2 . Grant Glutz restored YM’s lead in the 52nd minute and Tevin Kok added a fourth in the 59th minute and it finished YMCA 4 UCD 2 .

Three Rock Rovers took on Ulster side Instonians at Grange Road and ran out 5-1 winners. Ben Johnson gave Rovers the lead on 5 minutes from a converted penalty corner. Alistair Empey increased their lead in the 25th minute from open play. He got his second of the game to make it 3-0 to Three Rock Rovers in the 28th minute and it remained 3-0 at halftime. Peter Lynch further increased Rovers lead in the 50th minute to make it 4-0 to Three Rock. James Walker got a fifth goal for Rovers in the 57th minute. Instonians got a very late consolation goal a minute later through Matthew McAreavey from open play to leave the final score Three Rock Rovers 5 Instonians 1.

Corinthian hosted table toppers Lisnagarvey at St. Columba’s College but surprisingly managed to bring their winning run to a close by holding them to 2-2. After a scoreless opening quarter Lisnagarvey raced into a 2-0 lead. Matthew Nelson got his first of the game, from a converted penalty corner in the 31st minute and Garvey led 1-0 at half time. He increased their lead with his second of the match in the 40th minute from open play and Garvey led 2-0 at the end of quarter three. But Corinthians began the mother of all comebacks when David Howard converted a penalty corner in the 54th minute to leave Garvey leading 2-1. Two minutes from time from yet another penalty corner Corinthians drew level this time Max Neill converted the penalty corner to secure a point from the jaws of defeat. It finished Corinthian 2 Lisnagarvey 2.

EuroHockey League



Banbridge were in European action in Barcelona and their first game, Friday Oct 6, was a knockout round of 16 tie. A win sees a place in the quarter final on Sunday while a defeat sees a ranking match on Saturday morning the importance of which result may well benefit another team should that team be the EYHL Champions Trophy winners in the current season. ‘Well begun is half done’ is a well known adage in the English language. If that’s the case, then Banbridge certainly got their EHL campaign off to a very good start, against Belgium’s Waterloo Ducks, through Louis Rowe converting a 3rd minute penalty corner. Waterloo Ducks got back on level terms through a Victor Charlet penalty corner on 13 minutes to leave the sides level at the end of the first quarter 1-1. Banbridge did ease their way into a position of dominance in quarter two which they made count in the 29th minute through a Johnny McKee goal from open play to leave the Irish EYHL champions leading 2-1 at half time. Waterloo Ducks got back on level terms in the 37th minute through a goal by Blaise Rogeau. The game changed in one sixty second spell about two minutes after that. Louis Depelsenaire gave the Belgians the lead in the 39th minute and then within a minute captain Victor Charlet converted his second penalty corner of the match to leave the Ducks leading 4-2 coming towards the end of quarter three. It was 4-2 at the end of quarter three but Banbridge staged a mini comeback in the fourth and final quarter when Louis Rowe converted his second penalty corner of the match, reducing the lead to make it 4-3 to Waterloo Ducks. But the tie was put beyond reach by Waterloo Ducks when Louis Depelsenaire got his second goal of the game from open play in the 59th minute to leave Waterloo Ducks 5-3 ahead in the final minute

The way the draw in the EHL KO 16 is set up is if Banbridge won this game they were due to play the winners of the second game in the Round of 16. If they lost, their next game for ranking, would be against the losers of the second game. So either way the outcome of the game between English side Old Georgians and Mannheimer of Germany would be of great significance for the future involvement of Banbridge whatever that may be. That game for the record ended in a 5-1 win for Old Georgians. That result coupled with Banbridge’s result means that Bann went on to play Mannheimer in the EHL ranking match on Saturday morning. Oct 7.

BANBRIDGE: Luke Roleston, Luke Witherow, Alexander Tinney (c), Johnny Mc Kee, Peter Brown, Josh Moffett, Charlie Rowe, Mark Cowan, Louis Rowe, Sam Farson, Owen Magee
SUBS USED: Hugh McShane (6 mins), Jake Rowe (6 mins) David Finlay (6 mins), Tommy Dobson (6 mins), Matthew McKee (8 mins)


The first ranking match of the EHL saw the losers of KO16 tie one, Banbridge the Irish EYHL and Champions Trophy winners take on Mannheimer of Germany who lost the second KO16 against Old Georgians on the opening day. The Germans were clearly stung by this experience and wanted to vent their fury on their next opponents. Rudolf Hartkopf gave the Germans the lead from open play in the 9th minute. Johnny McKee equalised for Banbridge in the 18th minute again from open play. Gonzalo Peillat restored the Germans lead with a converted penalty corner in the 21st minute and increased their lead with his second converted penalty corner of the game on 32 minutes to leave Mannheim leading 3-1. And the score remained 3-1 right up to the end of quarter three. In quarter four the floodgates opened. Peter Brown’s 47th minute goal from open play to make it 2-3 launched a torrent of goalscoring which saw their opponents add four more to their tally. Luis Holste opened his account with 51st minute goal from open play to make it 4-2 and Gonzalo Peillat completed his hat-trick in the 56th minute with another converted penalty corner to leave Mannheim leading 5-2. Luis Holste got his second of the game in the 57th minute to leave Mannheim leading 6-2 in the final minute. During that final minute Banbridge conceded a penalty stroke. Tim Seagon duly converted the stroke for Mannheim to seal a 7-2 victory. As some of the KO 16 matches still had to be played when this game was over not to mention KO8 and other ranking matches the final place that Banbridge secured in this competition may not become clear till the end of play in the tournament on Sunday.

BANBRIDGE: Luke Roleston, Aaron Baxter, Luke Witherow, Alexander Tinney (C), Johnny Mc Kee, Peter Brown, Josh Moffett, Charlie Rowe, Mark Cowan, Louis Rowe, Owen Magee
SUBS USED: Hugh McShane (6 mins), Jake Rowe (7 mins), David Finlay (6 mins), Tommy Dobson (6 mins), Matthew McKee (8 mins)