EYHL Men’s Round 8 and Womens Round 7 Recap

Hockey Ireland Results Round-Up – Saturday Nov 11


Things began to unravel for the visitors as early as the seventh minute when Loreto were awarded a penalty stroke. Hannah McLoughlin converted the stroke to give Loreto a 1-0 lead. This was a lead they maintained until half-time. They increased their lead before half time through a Síofra O’Brien goal from open play to lead 2-0 in the forty seventh minute.
Aisling Murray’s converted penalty corner increased their lead in the fifty-fifth minute to leave the score 3-0 at that stage. Síofra O’Brien secured the victory with her second goal of the game again from open play in the fifty-eighth minute to leave the final score Loreto 4 Pembroke Wanderers 0.

The visitors took the lead through Sarah Fitzgerald who converted a penalty corner in the thirteenth minute and led 1-0 at half-time.
Old Alexandra responded just after half time when Abby Russell converted a penalty corner in the thirty seventh minute to grab an equaliser 1-1.
Naomi Carroll restored the visitors lead in the forty-seventh minute from a converted penalty corner to make it 2-1 and Ciara Moloney with another converted penalty corner in the sixty-fourth minute secured the points for the visitors on a 3-1 scoreline.

Railers took the lead though a goal from Aebhfinn Burke . 1-0 after only three minutes from open play.
They increased their lead through a converted penalty corner from Lisa McCarthy in the twenty first minute to make it 2-0.
A Niamh Carey converted penalty corner in the twenty fifth minute put Railway Union 3-0 ahead at the break.
Niamh Carey got her second of the game from open play in the third quarter to make the score 4-0 to Railway Union.
Ulster Elks did manage a response when Jessica McMaster scored from open play in the fiftieth minute to make the final score Railway Union 4 Ulster Elks 1

Ninth placed Pegasus were the visitors to Belfield for this EYHL Women’s Division 1 clash at the National Stadium.
Despite the presence of talented forwards such as Zoe Malseed and Alex Speers for the visitors and Katharine Egan for the hosts it was scoreless in the first half.
There was many examples of both sides creating potential scoring opportunities in the opening quarters but none of them were converted.
Sophie McDowell gave the visitors the lead with a goal from open play in the fifty first minute. Pegasus increased their lead when Zara Malseed grabbed their second goal of the game from open play four minutes later. UCD showed a resilience that had been missing in their previous encounter and fought their way back into this match. Captain Emma Paul led by example and scored from open play in the sixty second minute. And a draw was secured from the jaws of possible defeat by Mikayla Power’s open play goal with only two minutes remaining. It finished UCD 2 Pegasus 2

UCD: Erika Gallagher, Katie Jane Marshall, Emma Paul, Lucy Crowe, Sarah McAuley, Katharine Egan, Leah O’Shea, Mikayla Power, Anna McCarthy, Sophie Kidd, Florence Maughan. SUBS: Lauren Moore (7 mins), Emma Montgomery ( 9 mins), Aine Naughton ( 9 mins), Sydney Weir McErlean (9 mins), Kate Ryan (18 mins),
PEGASUS: Megan Todd, Emma Quinn,Taite Doherty, Madison Bowyer, Sophie McDowell, Gemma Hassan, Sarah Johnston, Shirley McCay [capt.], Erin Anderson, Alex Speers, Zara Malseed SUBS K McDonald (6 mins) , Emma Gregson ( 10 mins), Eva Wainwright (11 mins), Molly Dougan (18 mins), Erin Pim (20 mins)

A closely fought encounter between the EYHL 2 champions of 2022 Monkstown and the EYHL 2 Champions of 2023 Corinthians at Rathdown produced the slenderest margin of all when Monkstown squeezed by the visitors by a goal to nil. When Charlotte O’Neill converted a penalty corner in the forty sixth minute it proved to be the only goal of the game and a very important three points for a Monkstown side trying to claw their way up the table.


Annadale made it two wins on the spin following this victory over Corinthians at Lagan College to put daylight between themselves and the students of UCD who are in ninth place in the table. Adam McAllister opened the scoring from open play in the eighteenth minute and Dale were leading 1-0 at the break.
Corinthians grew into the game and it was no surprise when they equalised through a Max Neill field goal on the hour mark. However the 1-1 score line didn’t last very long.
Spencer Pinion restored Annadale’s lead in the sixty-third minute from open play and they never relinquished it , holding on for the victory. It finished Annadale 2 Corinthians 1.

Lisanagarvey came out of the blocks early in this game and took the lead in the sixth minute through a Matthew Nelson goal from open play to make it 1-0 to Garvey.
Ben Nelson opened his account only seven minutes later when his goal from open play made the score 2-0. He completed the scoring in the first half by gaining his second goal from open play in the thirty third minute to leave the visitors 3-0 ahead at the half time break .
Quarters three and four did not prove fruitful for either side but more especially Glenanne who drew a blank and the final score was Glenanne 0 Lisnagarvey 3

Visitors YMCA took the lead from a converted penalty corner by Tevin Kok in the tenth minute. Ross Henderson increased their lead with a goal from open play int he twenty ninth minute to leave YMCA 2-0 ahead. On the stroke of half time Stephen Kelso converted a penalty corner for Instonians to leave the half -time score Instonians 1 YMCA 2.
Defences dominated the remainder of the proceedings and there was no further scoring. An important three points for YMCA and Instonians remain in tenth place in the table .

After a scoreless first quarter, the visitors took the lead in the thirtieth minute through a field goal from James Walker and led 1-0 at the half time break.
Alistair Empey increased the visitors lead in the fifty-fourth minute when his field goal gave them a 2-0 lead. Monkstown though are a tough nut to crack and have a resilience this season that makes them difficult to keep down. They struck twice late on to snatch a draw from the jaws of defeat. Mark Gibbons converted penalty corner in the sixty-eighth minute got them on the scoresheet but they were still trailing 1-2 into the final minute. Theodore Kohlmann came to the rescue with a goal from open play to steal a point.

Banbridge went into this game minus a few injured players including Peter Brown who sustained a bruised foot in the 3-3 draw with Monkstown last weekend.
UCD started this game in a much better manner than they had done their last outing away to Annadale. They defended well, looked well organised and created the occasional goal attempt when on the counter attack. So the first quarter was scoreless. But Banbridge aren’t in possession of all three trophies at National level without a good reason and that became clear as the game wore on. Philip Brown converted a penalty corner in the twenty-sixth minute to open the scoring, but it remained 0-1 to Banbridge until half time. UCD’s shots on goal were confined to efforts from the edge of the semi-circle which whizzed across the face of the goal and they forced a handful of short corners but nothing to trouble Luke Roleston in the Banbridge goal too much. Banbridge increased their lead when Jake Rowe converted another penalty corner in the forty ninth minute to leave the visitors 2-0 at the end of the third quarter. UCD’s best shot on target came from outside the D in the fourth quarter and Roleston was able to kick the ball clear before a UCD forward could get a stick on it. Louis Rowe converted another penalty corner for the visitors in the fifty seventh minute to make the points safe. UCD cleared a shot off the line late on and the ball fell to Louis Rowe outside the D and he cut inside to score from open play in the sixty third minute to seal a 4-0 victory. Banbridge continue their unbeaten run at the top of the table and this result leaves UCD stuck in the bottom two for now.

UCD: Ross Clarke, Samuel Ryder, Kevin O’Dea [capt.], Josh Filgas, Adam Luke Galbraith, Josh Gill, Callum Hewat, Conor Walsh, Benjamin Stewart, Andrew Fox, Mark Collins. SUBS Alan Sothern (6 mins), Samuel Walker (6 mins), Harry Lynch (10 mins), Alex Lynch (12 mins), Gavin Gleeson (26 mins) ;

BANBRIDGE: Luke Roleston, Luke Witherow, Alexander Tinney [capt.], Joshua Moffett, Charlie Rowe, Philip Brown, Thomas Dobson, Mark Cowan, Matthew McKee,Louis Rowe, Sam Farson. SUBS: Mark Barlow (3 mins), Thomas Orr (6 mins), Jake Rowe (7 mins), Hugh McShane (8mins), Aidan McKee (8 mins)