IRL Men eventually overcome by Australia second half powerhouse performance



Australia took on Ireland in the sixth fixture of the India phase of the FIH Pro League in Rourkela today. The table toppers eventually overcame a game Ireland team with a powerhouse second half performance to win by 4 goals to 1.

Interviewed pre match on the Watch Hockey live stream Ireland head coach Mark Tumilty stated that the primary aim was to get into the final third more often. Ireland did precisely that in the first quarter forcing a long corner in the 3rd minute. After a good team move orchestrated by Daragh Walsh, Sean Murray got the final pass and forced two saves from Australian keeper Andrew Charter in the 4th minute. Australia had their first real shot in anger in the 9th minute when James Milliken saved from Daniel Beale.

Australia forced their first penalty corner of the match in the 11th minute. Blake Govers shot from the corner was saved by Milliken. It was scoreless at the end of the quarter. Australia started the second quarter well forcing their second penalty corner of the match in the 17th minute. Saved at the line by Milliken at the expense of another short corner. Umpire made Australia retake this one as one of the Irish runners had broken too early. Australia hit this one wide off the outside of the upright.

Australia forced their 5th penalty corner of the game in the 21st minute Blake Govers shot towards the roof of the net but James MIlliken managed to keep it out of the net with his raised stick at the expense of a long corner.  Overall, in quarter two Australia dominated possession and Ireland defended well. Ireland had a few circle entries in the 24th minute. In the final minute Australia had a shot across the goal mouth after a free hit and that one went wide.  0-0 at half time.

Australia didn’t score from their 8th penalty corner, but they did however from their 9th. Blake Govers converting in the 33rd minute  1-0 to Australia. Nathan Ephraums converted another penalty corner in the 40th minute to increase their lead to 2-0. But Ireland responded in the 44th minute when Shane O’Donoghue converted their first penalty corner to make the score 2-1. Blake Govers put Australia further ahead in the 52nd minute converting a second penalty corner for his second goal of the game, to make the score 3-1 to Australia . Player of the match Jack Welch got a goal from open  play in the 56th minute to leave the final score Australia 4 Ireland 1.


Speaking after the match Ireland Head Coach Mark Tumilty said:

“For a few of the Australia goals we got unfortunate with some of the deflections. We have to defend a bit better outside the circle. We conceded very quickly after scoring and that’ s something we need to work on. We have grown in the tournament and now we need to get something on the board before we go home. I think we deserve something from this tournament and that will be our main focus going into those final games.”


AUSTRALIA: Andrew Charter (G), Corey Weyer, Jake Harvie, Tom Wickham, Jacob Anderson, Joshua Beltz, Blake Govers, Jayden Atkinson,  Tim Howard, Flynn Ogilvie, Daniel Beale  SUBS USED: James Collins (3 mins), Jack Welch (3mins), Lachlan Sharp (4 mins) Ky Willott (4 mins),  Nathan Ephraums (5 mins),  Eddie Ockenden (C) (5 mins)


IRELAND:  James Milliken (GK), Luke Witherow, Lee Cole, Shane O’Donoghue, Nicholas Page, Peter McKibbin, Sean Murray (C), Daragh Walsh, Jeremy Duncan, Ben Walker, Jonathan Lynch SUBS USED: Peter Brown (5 mins), Conor Empey (5 mins),  Matthew Nelson (5 mins), Kevin O’Dea (5 mins), Charlie Rowe (6 mins), Sam Hyland (8 mins)