Men’s Cup Finals Match Reports



Belfast Harlequins won the Irish Hockey Trophy at Banbridge on Saturday with an emphatic 4-2 win over Catholic Institute. James Hutchinson put Harlequins 1-0 up on 5 minutes following a penalty corner. David Fraser increased their lead on 22 minutes with a goal from open play.

Institute battled back into the game and Cillian Archer got them on the score sheet in the 29th minute to make it 2-1. Cormac O’Byrne was green carded in the 33rd minute but Belfast didn’t add to their 2-1 first half tally, which was the half time score.

Things got worse for Catholic Institute, early in the third quarter, when they conceded a penalty stroke which Harlequins captain Michael Patterson converted on 36 minutes to leave the score 3-1. Less than a minute later Patrick Jack added a fourth to make it 4-1. Stephen McGrath of Harlequins was green carded in the 52nd minute giving Insta a man advantage for a few minutes and when he returned to action, Jack Stockil converted a penalty corner for Institute on 56 minutes to make it 4-2. And while there was still time left to retrieve the situation, and Michael Patterson was green carded in the 59th minute for Harlequins, that second goal for Institute proved to be the final goal of the game.

It finished Belfast Harlequins 4 Catholic Institute 2

BELFAST HARLEQUINS: James Acheson, John Metcalfe, Antoine Hirschland, Michael Patterson [capt.], Drew Carlisle, Adam Tweed, James Hutchinson, Matthew Gray, Michael Finlay, Peter Bailey, David Clarke, Patrick Jack, Christopher Lemon, David Fraser, Stephen McGrath, Harry Chapman

CATHOLIC INSTITUTE: Tristan Murphy; Jack Stockil, Gary Acheson, Hugh Walsh, Cormac O’Byrne, Ed Gleeson [capt], Roy Gleeson, Nick Lampp, Cathal Duggan, Ivan Moore, James McCarthy, Cian Nolan, Cillian Archer, Francis Naughton, John Wallace, Colum O’Byrne .



Banbridge and Lisnagarvey could not be separated after 70 minutes of a closely fought Irish Junior Cup Final at Havelock Park in Banbridge.

Banbridge started well and took a lead in the 9th minute when Matthew Stevenson converted from a penalty corner. Aaron Baxter added a second in the 19th minute to make it 2-0 Banbridge.

Perhaps a two goal lead is the unsafest lead in hockey because two minutes later Lisnagarvey got off the mark through a goal from Matthew Morris. In the 57th minute Harry Archbold got a second goal for Garvey to leave the score 2-2 and there was no further scoring and the game went to a shoot out.

During the shoot out Banbridge converted two of their penalties. Lisnagarvey however converted three of their penalties to seal a 3-2 shoot out win. The Irish Junior Cup is on it’s way to Comber Road.

BANBRIDGE: Elliott Haw, Ben Walker, Matthew Spence, Dylan Cowan , Hugh McShane, William Malcomson, John McCague, David Gallagher, James Evans, Ben Robert Pollock, Matthew McKee, Thomas Edward Dobson, Bruce McCandless, Aaron Baxter, Matthew Stevenson, David McKinlay, Adam Mc Kee

LISNAGARVEY: Matthew McLearnon, Adam McCann, Craig Getty, Matthe McKibbin, Tim Curragh, Harry Archbold, Peter Bland, Andrew Forrest, Mark Raphael, Patrick Watson, Mackenzie Connor, Luke Dennison, Daniel Murray, Max Spence, Matthew Morris, John Cunningham, Phil Stirling



After two scoreless quarters, early in the third quarter Portrush surged into the lead through a Brent Smith penalty corner after 40 minutes to make it 1-0. Saintfield had Jack Taylor yellow carded in the 46th minute and their suffering was eased somewhat when Brent Smith of Portrush was then green carded in the 48th minute. Saintfield then were reduced to 10 players in the 58th minute temporarily when James Erskine was green carded.

Portrush got their second of the game through Leon Smith also in the 58th minute from a field goal. Adam Scott from Portrush was then green carded in the 63rd minute and while he was temporarily sitting out they increased their lead through a Michael Conway field goal on 64 minutes. Saintfield’s Stuart Hunter received a green card in the 68th minute which meant he missed the remaining minutes of the game and Alastair Reilly got his goal for Portrush almost straightaway to seal a 4-0 win for Portrush and send the Irish Hockey Challenge Trophy to the north coast.

PORTRUSH: Marc Bennett, Brent Smith, Barry Mc Mullan, Ryan Smith, Aaron Kerr, Clive Fulton, Michael Conway, Alastair Reilly, John Dillon, Andy Christie, Callum McKeenan, Adam Scott, Leon Smith, James McElderry, Henry Craig, Andrew Morrison, Phillip Linton

SAINTFIELD: William Heaney, Matthew Sullivan [captain], Jack Taylor, Andrew Kirk, Matt Fraser, Rory Brown, Harry Bell, James Erskine, Doug Barrett, Henry Ward, Cliff Jack, Craig Harkness, Jason Campbell, Alex Miller, Stuart Hunter, James Magee, Thomas Brown;