The All-Ireland Schools (Boys) Championship
The All-Ireland Schools (Boys) Championship brings together the top school talent in a play-off tournament to decide the All-Ireland Schools (Boys) Champions of the year.
- Each Province to decide their method of qualification to meet their quota
- Players must be under the age of 19 at the start of the School Year (1st July)
It is the right of each province to produce its quota of Schools every year in its own way. Ulster is based on previous year’s results and qualifying games, Leinster and Munster on qualifiers if necessary with the winners entered into European competitions every second year.
The tournament is held around Halloween time each year and consists of sixteen teams. With eight Ulster, five Leinster and three Munster, there are four pools, the winner of each pool plays in the semi final and then final. The remaining teams then play a friendly against each other.
Schoolboys All Ireland 2021/2022 Tournament format
Due to concerns regarding the staging of the Schoolboy All Ireland in October in its normal format, a request was made to the HI Schools Committee to look at the format for the present academic year. Two options were proposed and these were brought back to the prospective branches for discussion and the decisions of the branches were brought by their representatives to the committee meeting for ratification. The format for the schoolboys All Ireland for this academic year is as follows
1. Munster remain as hosts so there will be 7 Ulster, 5 Leinster and 4 Munster sides competing.
2. Provinces organise their own qualifiers and seeding of their teams.
3. Run group phase over 3 match days with Game 1 to be played before end of November, Game 2 by December/January and Match 3 by January/February (cut off point of Friday 18th February).
4. Match days to remain flexible to accommodate exams, school commitments, Covid restrictions, etc.
5. Matches between Ulster and Munster sides to be played in Dublin or location agreed by both sides.
6. Semi final and Final to take place in March with both semi finals and final taking place on the one day. The date for the finals day to be Wednesday 30th March 2022. The semi final and final of the Herbie Sharman will also be played on this date.
Location of semi finals and final.
1. If only Leinster and Munster sides are involved, matches are held in Cork.
2. If only Leinster and Ulster sides are involved, matches are held in Banbridge.
3. If all three provinces have sides involved, matches are held in Dublin.
4. All above locations subject to agreement with local clubs/schools
The 2022 tournament reverts back to its normal format and timing in October with Munster as hosts.
Winners over the years
|2019||High School||St Andrews|
|2018||Newtown School||Banbridge Academy|
|2017||St Andrews||Wesley College|
|2016||St Andrews||Banbridge Academy|
|2015||Banbridge Academy||Wesley College|
|2014||St Andrews||Wallace HS|
|2013||St Andrews||Wesley College|
|2012||St Andrews||Wesley College|
|2009||Wesley College||Wallace HS|
|2008||St Andrews||Wesley College|
|2004||Wesley College||Bandon GS|
|2001||St Andrew’s||Wesley College|
|1984||Newry HS||Wallace HS|
|1983||Newry HS||Wallace HS|
|1982||Newry HS||Banbridge Academy|