The 2016 Rio Olympics Games took place from August 5th-21st, while the hockey event began on the 6th and finished on the 19th.
Ireland played in Pool B alongside world number two ranked Netherlands, defending Olympic champions Germany (3); Argentina (6); India (7); and Canada (14).
Pool A saw reigning World and Hockey World League champions Australia, ranked number one in the world at the time, face Great Britain (4 – based on England’s ranking); 2015 Hockey World League runners up Belgium (5); New Zealand (8); Spain (11) and hosts Brazil (32).
Traveling to Rio for the Games? Click here for more info.
Green Machine Rio Olympics Match Schedule
All of Ireland matches will be shown live on RTE2, RTE Online and BBC4/Red Button
August 6th 15:00 India 3vs2 Ireland
August 7th 22:00 Netherlands 5vs0 Ireland
August 9th 16:30 Germany 2vs3 Ireland
August 11th 15:00 Ireland 4vs2 Canada
August 12th 23:30 Ireland 2vs3 Argentina
Click here for the full match schedule!
Rio 2016 Olympic Games Hockey Events Pools
Pool A Pool B
AUS (1) NED (2)
GBR (4) GER (3)
BEL (5) ARG (6)
NZL (8) IND (7)
ESP (11) IRL (12)
BRA (32) CAN (14)
As it stands:
- Pool A
- New Zealand
- Great Britain
- Pool B
So what does it take to prepare a team for the Olympic Games?
Lots and lots of work! The Green Machine are hard at work training 5-7 days a week internationally, provincially and with their clubs. The squad comes together every Sunday, Monday and Tuesday for a 3 day camp; and their training consists of a lot more than just pitch sessions, check out some behind the scenes training videos below.
Another key component to any preparation is matches; testing your skill and progress against the best in the world. Between now and the Rio Olympics in August, the Green Machine will travel to Great Britain, Germany, Valencia and Argentina to face off against the world’s best teams; many of whom they will face at the Olympic Games. Korea, Canada and The Netherlands will be welcomed to Ireland for 3 match series’ as part of the Green Machine Summer Series.
How do we make this programme happen?
Hockey Ireland receives vital support from the Irish Sports Council and Sport Northern Ireland. But given the preparation required for an Olympic Games there is a €225,000 shortfall in the Green Machines programme budget this year. Preparing for an Olympic Games is a first for the team and our organization, and it’s time for Irish hockey to shine on the worlds stage. Click here to find out more about our Obsessed fundraising campaign.
Let’s put some dates in the diary!
- May 12th-15th Green Machine Travel to Germany for 2 Match Series
- May 31st at 7pm in Dublin Ireland vs Korea
- June 2nd at 7pm in Dublin Ireland vs Korea
- June 4th at 2pm in Dublin Ireland vs Korea
- June 5th at 2pm in Dublin Ireland vs Korea
- June 9th at 7pm in NICS, Stormont Ireland vs Canada
- June 10th at 7pm in NICS, Stormont Ireland vs Canada
- June 12th at 2pm in Dublin Ireland vs Canada
- June 14th at 11:30am in Dublin Ireland vs Canada
- June 27th-July 3rd Green Machine Travel to Valencia for 6 Nations Tournament
- July 4th at 7pm in University College Cork Ireland vs The Netherlands
- July 6th at 7pm in University College Cork Ireland vs The Netherlands