What is the Young Hockey Leaders Award?
The Young Hockey Leaders Award is a 5-hour long course that introduces young people, aged between 14 and 18, to volunteering in their hockey club. The aim of the programme is to enjoy all aspects of the sport of hockey rather than concentrating on playing only.
- Umpiring (2.5 hours)
- Coaching and Team Management (2.5 hours)
However, in 2020, as a result of the current Covid-19 restrictions, Hockey Ireland has decided to divide the delivery of YHLA into 2 parts:
- Online regional workshop – 1 hour
- Practical regional pitch session – 4 hours
We will continue to add dates and venues across Ireland for August, please keep your eyes peeled for this.
For any clubs who wish to hold a YHLA please get in touch with your regional development officer.
Under normal circumstances there are two ways your club can take part:
- Organise a workshop at your club grounds: You need a minimum of 12 Young Leaders and Hockey Ireland will provide the tutor (classroom and pitch time required). To organise this, contact your local development manager.
- Send your Youth Leaders to a centrally run workshop in your province. See below for upcoming courses. To book a place, please contact the relevant staff member (see below).
However, in 2020 due to the COVID-19 restrictions, Hockey Ireland has decided to divide the delivery of YHLA as above.