Subway All Ireland Schoolboys Championship 2015

The Subway All-Ireland Schoolboys Championships get under way on Wednesday and St Andrew’s College will be looking to make history by becoming the first side ever to win 4 titles in a row. However there are plenty of teams hot on their heels and looking to take the Tasmanian shield from the Booterstown school.


Group A
Group B Group C Group D
St Andrews College Wesley College Banbridge Academy Sullivan Upper
Wallace High School Friends School Mount Temple Bandon Grammar
Newtown School Ashton St Columbas College The High School
R.B.A.I Regent House Royal & Prior Cookstown High School

Match Schedule

 Wednesday 21st October

Deramore QUB QUB 2 Shawsbridge
1.30pm Ashton 1 v 0 Friends Wesley 5 vs 0 Regent St Andrews 7 v 3 R.B.A.I
3.00pm Sullivan 12 v 1 Cookstown St Columbas 1 v 4 Mt Temple Banbridge 5 v 1 Raphoe Bandon 3 v 3 High School

Note: Wallace 7 vs 0 Newtown  to be held at Wallace High School at 3pm.

Thursday 22nd October

Deramore QUB QUB 2 Shawsbridge
9.45am St Andrews 8 v 0 Newtown Friends 6 v 0 Regent Wesley 6 v 1 Ashton Wallace 5 v 0 R.B.A.I
11.15am Mt Temple 3 v 2 Raphoe Sullivan 5 v 0 High School Bandon 5 v 2 Cookstown Banbridge 4 v  3 St Columbas
2.00pm Ashton 1 v 0 Regent St Andrews 3 v 2 Wallace Wesley 4 v 0 Friends Newtown 3v 2 R.B.A.I
3.30pm Sullivan 1 v 4 Bandon Banbridge 4 v 2 Mt Temple High School 5 v 2 Ctown St Columbas 2 v 4 Raphoe

Friday 23rd October

  Shaws Bridge Queens
9:30am Semi Final 1 Wesley 5 vs 4 St Andrews Semi Final 2 Banbridge 2 vs 0 Bandon
2:30pm Final Banbridge 3 vs 2 Wesley College  


Final Report

Subway All-Ireland Schoolboys Championships

Banbridge Academy 3 (J Rowe 3) Wesley College 2 (G Gibney, S Hyland)


Jake Rowes last second winner saw Banbridge back the Subway All-Ireland Schoolboys Championship title in dramatic fashion as Shaw’s Bridge, firing home a pin-point drag-flick to see off Wesley 3-2.

It was his third of the day as the Dubliners never got to grips with the Bann set-piece. Rowe had initially turned a third minute deficit into a 2-1 lead in the second half with his first two strikes.

Sam Hyland appeared to have salvaged a draw two minutes from time. But one last penalty corner was earned at the death and Rowe duly obliged to bring the Tasmanian Shield the short journey down the Lurgan Road for the first time since 2011.

Wesley had begun in flying form, using the confidence built from dethroning St Andrews earlier in the day. They hit the front with with a hotly contested effort, Gavin Gibney smashing home at the second attempt to the top corner.

Bann argued that his first swipe at the ball was dangerous but the complaints fell on deaf ears. From there, Wesley continued to make most of the running for much of the first half with Gibney a constant threat and Daragh Walsh moving the ball on at pace.

But their momentum stalled as Banbridge began to apply a higher, more aggressive press. It yielded dividends and plenty of ball in good positions, earning a 20th minute corner that Rowe dispatched for 1-1.

Defensively, the Co Down side were superb with captain Andrew Bennington a rock in the centre, picking off excellent low tackles to protect his sides circle. On the counter, they took their fleeting chances when they came. Joel Reid won a second corner which Rowe took delight in firing home just a couple of minutes into the second half.

The Dubliners were still enjoying the majority of possession, though, and with Mark Samuel driving them forward, began to build waves of pressure. Bennington charged one down to retain the narrow advantage to add to Wesleys frustrations and they were almost caught on the counter.

Rowe came within inches of killing off the tie when another corner flick hit the outside of the Wesley post. In an incredible finale, Wes finally found their equaliser from their fourth penalty corner. Twice they saw shots charged down before Hyland took control and flicked home the rebound past Luke Roleston.

There was one last twist, though, as Bann broke forward and won their fourth corner of the game and, with the last play, Rowe produced the goods yet again.

Earlier in the day, Bann beat Bandon GS 2-0 in their semi-final thanks to goals from Kyle Marshall and Charlie Norris. Wesley saw off St Andrews who were bidding to become the first side to win the side four times in-a-row on penalty strokes after normal time had ended 3-3.

Wesley College: L Campion, H McMahon, D Mawhinney, D Connelly, D Walsh, S Hyland, J O Grady, M Samuel, C Evers, D Ellison, G Gibney

Subs: A Sykes, R Shirley, A Barlow, G Boothman

Banbridge Academy: L Roleston, A Bennington, M Barlow, C Norris, J Reid, K Marshall, P McKnight, N Liggett, J Rowe, J Anderson, M Adair

Subs: S Green, C Gibson, P Campbell, R Simms, D Cowan



Photo Credit: Rowland White Press Eye