Hockey Ireland Level 1 Coaching Course
Hockey Ireland Level 1 Coaching Course is the second step on the Coaching Pathway. Level 1 is designed for people looking to lead group sessions. The course is delivered on the basis that attendees are coaching a range of age groups, from young children to adults focusing mainly on Phases 2 and 3 of HookedforLife. Play-Practice-Play is the common methodology covered of the course as the vast majority of the coaches will deliver sessions in a game like environment using this key concept.
At the end of this course a successful candidate should be able to deliver a session to a group of players containing the following elements:
- Use of the Play-Practice-Play coaching method
- Technical correction and improvement
- Planning and organisation
- Clear and concise instructions
- Impart up to date and accurate knowledge
- Progression within the session
- Creation of a ‘game-like’ environment
- Inclusion of players with disabilities
The Level 1 Coaching Course is 2 and a half days in duration. The first two days are pitch-based practical sessions and the last day consists of the observed session. In order to pass the Level 1 Course, you must attend all contact days and successfully complete the observed session.
There are a number of requirements for coaches that wish to attend the Level 1 Coaching Course:
- Coaches must be 18 years or older
- Coaches MUST have attended the Safeguarding 1 – Child Welfare & Protection In Sport Course (ROI) OR Safeguarding Children and Young People in Sport Certificate (NI) before they can attend the Level 1 Coaching Course. Proof of attendance is sought as part of the application process.
- Coaches must have attended the Fundamentals of Coaching Hockey Course.
Please note that there is a minimum waiting period of three months between completing your Fundamentals Certificate and taking part in a Level 1 coaching course.
Irish legislation now requires that anyone carrying out activities involving regular contact with Under-18s and vulnerable adults be Garda vetted through their National Governing Body. Hockey Ireland provides this service for hockey clubs and branches. Click here for relevant information on vetting.
The cost of the Level 1 Coaching Course is €140.
|20th (online); 21st and 22nd (field) August 2021||Avoca HC, Dublin||19.30-21.00 (20th)
09.00 – 16.30 (21st/22nd)
|16th August 2021
|27th (online); 28th and 29th (field) August 2021||Ashton HC, Cork||19.30-21.00 (27th)
09.00 – 16.30 (28th/29th)
|23rd August 2021||€140*|
The above dates are provisional and are completely dependent on sufficient numbers. We reserve the right to change dates as the need arises.
If you are based in Ulster, please see the Ulster Hockey Union’s coaching course schedule here: https://ulsterhockey.com/get-involved/coaching/qualifications-cpd-courses/
It is a required element that all participants complete the Fundamentals of Coaching Hockey and the Safeguarding 1 – Child Welfare & Protection In Sport Course prior to coming onto the Level 1. This course can be found on your Local Sports Partnership’s website.